Buying reindeer is a large investment of your time and money. If you’re considering starting your own reindeer herd, we recommend doing lots of research beforehand. We’ve compiled a list of suggestions we feel are important to consider and research prior to purchasing reindeer of your own. We will have a couple reindeer calves for sale after weaning in August 2021. We are a Self-Monitored Herd for CWD because Utah does not have a CWD Certification Program. We are USDA Licensed.
- Check Local and State Laws to determine if Reindeer are even allowed in your state.
- If they are allowed, Learn the requirements to Import as well as Care for the Reindeer in your State. (Fencing and Space Requirements, etc)
- Learn more about becoming Licensed through the USDA and the requirements that pertain to you (Exhibiting, Breeding, etc). Feel free to email them: [email protected] with any questions.
- Look into the Reindeer Owners and Breeders Association. Thats a great way to learn more about Reindeer as well as a great way to learn about owning Reindeer.
- Find any Reindeer Farms nearby or in States Nearby. Go and visit them and learn from them.
- Do you own Sheep or Goats? If yes, be sure to learn more about MCF (Malignant Catarrhal Fever). MCF can kill Reindeer very quickly and usually sheep and goats are great hosts/carriers for the disease.
- Learn more about what normal behavior is for Reindeer during the Rut and if you’re ready to be able to handle a Bull during the Rut. If not, maybe start with only cows (female reindeer). The best way to do this is to talk to Experienced Reindeer Owners/Breeders.
If you are still interested in Buying Reindeer from us, please Contact Jeff via email ([email protected]) or his Cell (801-641-1221). Calves are born around April and will Require a Deposit once the calf is a week old and is healthy and strong.